PSS Cadet Job Opening
The City of Ann Arbor is hiring a Police Service Specialist (PSS) Cadet on a limited time basis. The PSS Cadet Program is for non-licensed (pre-academy) applicants with the goal of attending the Police Academy and becoming a police officer with the Ann Arbor Police Department.
The PSS Cadet will have an evaluation period for a maximum of 12 months, May 2020. During this time, the PSS Cadet will work the Police front desk and be responsible for interacting with the public, conduct preliminary investigations for reports, complete traffic crash reports, administer preliminary breath tests, fingerprint and photographs of arrestees/defendants for court. Based on the current union contract, the pay is $37,440 annually ($18/hr).
Upon the successful completion of the assimilation period, the PSS Cadet will also participate in the Police Academy at Washtenaw Community College. The city will cover the cost for the academy tuition and all associated academy related costs, excluding room/board and food. Upon successful completion of this academy, the PSS Cadet will be hired into an entry-level police officer position and must successfully complete the Ann Arbor Police Department’s field training officer program.
Interested individuals can apply online today with the PSS Cadet application link below. This job posting will close on Tuesday, February 26, 2019.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and at least 21 years of age
- Must have a Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent college credits (60) is required at the time of hire
Benefits Offered as a PSS Cadet
- Medical/dental/vision/pharmacy plans
- Educational Incentives after 1 year
- Ongoing commitment to internal and external training opportunities
- Short-term and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Wellness Incentive Programs
- Employee assistance program
Benefits Offered as an AAPD Police Officer
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan is a 2.75 multiplier at 25 years of service
- Longevity increases after 7 years, 12 years, and 18 years of service
- Reciprocal Pension Service Time available for pension-qualified applicants
- Earning Potential under the current contract, after 18 years of service with the AAPD the salary for a Senior Officer II is $82,742.40. The salary for a Detective III with 18 years of service or more is $92,830.40
Interested in applying for the PSS Cadet position, visit the City of Ann Arbor’s website to fill out an application.