Grand Rapids Police Department Hiring Police Recruits
The Grand Rapids Police Department is seeking to grow its force. It has created a program for individuals wishing to become police officers but have not yet attended a police academy. GRPD will sponsor recruits to attend the GVSU Police Academy while being paid full-time wages and benefits beginning in April 2024. Upon successful completion of the academy and in-house GRPD training, a Grand Rapids Police Officer Recruit will then be sworn in as a full-time Grand Rapids Police Officer. Applications will only be accepted until Friday, September 15 at 11:59 pm.
A mandatory Police Academy Orientation at Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) will be held on March 25, 2024. The Police Academy starts on April 29, 2024 and concludes with graduation on August 8, 2024. You must be available for the orientation and entire training academy and pass the MCOLES State Licensing Exam for Police Officers at the end of the academy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to emergency calls for service on a 24-hour-a-day basis.
- Perform duties that deter crime, respond to citizen calls for service, protects property, and resolves conflicts between different people.
- Interact with the public on a daily basis.
- Handle criminal and non-criminal reports and complaints.
- Participate in continuous department-wide training.
- Assist with various administrative functions, such as testifying in court.
- Availability to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting pay begins at $25.15 per hour with an annual salary of $52,321.00
- Defined Benefit Plan Pension.
- Health/Vision/Dental/Life (Optional).
- Vacation Time, including a baseline of 80 hours of vacation and 12 paid holidays.
- 8 hours of sick time are awarded for each month of service.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to obtain a Michigan Driver’s license by date of hire.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Some experience communicating with people under varying circumstances.
- Ability to pass a background investigation.
- Ability to meet MCOLES requirements.
How To Apply
Interested applicants can apply for this position online. Additional application steps include taking the Civil Service Exam, submitting a background questionnaire, and completing the MCOLES reading/writing and physical fitness examinations (sponsorship only). The following steps include an Oral Board interview, a complete background investigation, and attendance at the GVSU Police Academy (sponsorship only). Following these steps, a Chief’s Interview will take place to extend a Conditional Offer of Employment – contingent upon psychological and physical evaluations.
Friday, September 15 at 11:59 pm