Grand Rapids Police Department Hiring Police Recruits
The Grand Rapids Police Department is seeking to grow its force. It has created a program for individuals wishing to become police officers but have not yet attended a police academy. GRPD will sponsor recruits to attend the GVSU Police Academy while being paid full-time wages and benefits. Upon successful completion of the academy and in-house GRPD training, a Grand Rapids Police Officer Recruit will then be sworn in as full-time Grand Rapids Police Officer. Applications will only be accepted until February 24 at 11:59 pm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Answer emergency and non-emergency calls for service from citizens.
- Handle criminal and non-criminal reports and complaints.
- Assist with various administrative functions, such as testifying in court.
- Work 12-hour shifts while on patrol.
- Availability to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Specialty units, such as Training, Community Engagement, Traffic, Detective, K9, and V.I.C.E.
- Secondary assignments such as recruiter, bomb tech, mounted unit, training officer, and bike patrol.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting pay through June 2021 is set at $23.11 per hour.
- Top pay through June 2021 is set at $57.84 per hour.
- Defined Benefit Plan Pension.
- Health/Vision/Dental/Life (Optional).
- Vacation Time, including a baseline of 80 hours of vacation and 12 paid holidays.
- 8 hours of sick time are awarded for each month of service.
- Lateral officers with 3+ years of experience receive a higher pay rate.
- Out-of-state officers can be reimbursed for the Recognition of Prior Training (MCOLES RPTE) course.
- Offer a sponsorship once a year for those who have not attended a police academy.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Possess good moral character.
- Possess good reading and writing skills.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Be a U.S. Citizen.
- Have a record clear of any felonies and certain misdemeanors.
How To Apply
To apply, visit the city website’s Grand Rapids Police Officer Recruit sponsorship page. Additional application steps include taking the Civil Service Exam, submitting a background questionnaire, and completing the MCOLES reading/writing and physical fitness examinations (sponsorship only). The following steps include an Oral Board interview, a complete background investigation, and attendance at the GVSU Police Academy (sponsorship only). Following these steps, a Chief’s Interview will take place to extend a Conditional Offer of Employment – contingent upon psychological and physical evaluations.
Applications close on February 24 at 11:59 pm
For additional information or questions, emails can be spent to Grand Rapids Police Department – Recruiting or via telephone at (616) 456-3301.