The Grand Rapids Police Department is currently hiring certified/lateral officers or any officers that will be certified/graduate from a police academy by December 2022 and must be available to work nights, weekends, and holidays. For this position, the annual salary ranges from $56,824.00 – $88,276.00. Please note that this job posting is for those who are currently Certified Police Officers or are enrolled in a Police Academy and will be certified by August 2023.
The deadline for officers to apply is May 24, 2023. Read the post for additional position information.
Grand Rapids Police Officers Position Opening
The purpose of this job is to patrol, community police, and provide tactical skills, which include the following:
- Provide police services to the general public and patrol city streets to protect its citizens.
- Enforce city ordinances and state laws.
- Offer professional police presence where needed and requested.
- Interview complaints, suspects, and witnesses to criminal activity.
- Testify in criminal, civil, or administrative court cases when required.
- Serve and protect the life and property of those within the city limits of Grand Rapids.
- Work with citizens to address problems and improve police and community relations.
- Perform tactical operations throughout the city.
- Be responsible for Patrol Officer duties in any capacity needed or requested throughout the City, which includes special events, foot, bike, uniformed or plainclothes, and Segway patrols.
Minimum Requirements and Experience
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a valid driver’s license or obtain a Michigan Driver’s license by the hire date.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Some experience with communicating with people under varying circumstances.
- Required to meet initial employment requirements as established by the Civil Service Board.
- Must take and receive a passing score on the Grand Rapids Civil Service Exam for Police Officers.
- Study guides are available at GR Public Libraries or for purchase (New Study Guide Link)
- Possess good moral character.
- Possess good reading and writing skills.
- Have a clear record of any felonies and certain misdemeanors.
- Successfully completed an MCOLES accredited police academy, be MCOLES Certified Police Officer, or have completed an MCOLES RPTE (Recognition of Prior Training and Experience) class for out-of-state officers.
- For out-of-state certified officers, please contact the Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) at (517) 322-1417 to determine eligibility and available dates for the Recognition of Prior Training and Experience Program.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield, starting on the first day.
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan.
- Twelve (12) Paid Holidays.
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time.
- Paid Parking (if applicable).
- Tuition Reimbursement, up to Master’s degree.
- Paid Parental Leave.
- Employee Assistance Program, with counseling sessions.
- Comprehensive Wellness Program.
- Voluntary benefits, including term life insurance, flexible spending account, disability insurance, and deferred compensation plan options.
To apply for this position, complete the following steps (All dates are approximate and may change):
- Apply online before May 24, 2023.
Civil Service examination: April 5, May 3, May 31, 2023
- 1. Entrance Exam (8 AM):
- National Criminal Justice Officer Selection Inventory (cognitive/integrity.)
b. Oral Exam (10AM-12PM): A structured interview proctored by a panel of Human Resources and Police personnel.
c. Interview (1-5PM): Facilitated by the Police Chief.
d. Personal History Statement: Informational meeting on background process.
- Recruit Class Orientation Begins May 15, 2023
- Recruit Class Oath of Office July 6, 2023
Please note that this job posting is for those who are currently Certified Police Officers or are enrolled in a Police Academy and will be certified by August 2023. This position is not covered by Social Security. For more information about this, please click here.
For More Information
Please visit the Join GRPD website for additional information about the position, department, and the City of Grand Rapids.
Should an applicant need any disability-related accommodation or other consideration in the application or selection process, please notify the human resources department upon submittal of the application.
The City of Grand Rapids does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.