Police Officer Position Opening In East Lansing
The City of East Lansing, Michigan, a residential community and home to Michigan State University, has a current opening for a Police Officer. This position has the responsibility of safeguarding human lives, protecting property, and the preservation of peace and order in the City. Officers must be committed to protecting and serving with fairness through partnerships that improve the quality of life in the East Lansing community.
This is a full-time position with rotating 12-hour shifts. The salary is $48,117.89 annually to a maximum of $64,591.07.
- Have an Associate’s Degree or equivalent in Criminal Justice or related field. (Equivalent would be either 90 credit term hours or 60 semester hours).
- Be a Citizen of the United States.
- Certification through a Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) approved school.
- Have a valid Michigan Driver’s License with no restrictions or suspensions.
- Possess a physical condition satisfactory to fulfill the duties of the position as determined by a physician of the City’s choice.
- Be able to pass a pre-screen interview, written examinations, oral board interview, strict background investigation, psychological evaluation, and physical examination, which includes drug testing.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Computer Skills
- First aid
- Use of firearms
- Motor vehicle operation and inspection
- Fingerprinting and latent fingerprint search and development
- Crime scene search
- Knowledge of total government structure and the personnel operation
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, and arrest procedures
- Accident investigation
- Traffic control
- Defensive tactic skills
How to Apply
Download the following PDF documents below and complete, as they are required for consideration, or visit the main job listing post. They may be filled out electronically, saved to your computer, and e-mailed as an attachment to Human Resources:
Additionally, the application may be printed out, completed, and mailed to our office:
City of East Lansing
Attn: Human Resources
410 Abbot Road, East Lansing, MI 48823
For More Information
Please direct all questions and comments to the City of East Lansing’s Human Resources department.