Romulus Police Officer Job Description
The Romulus Police Department is a State of Michigan law enforcement accredited agency proudly representing the top 10% of all police agencies in the state. We are seeking proactive, career-oriented police officers to work in a diverse police department that has an excellent relationship with the community. These are skilled professional police positions tasked with the protection of life and property and enforcement of laws and ordinances. Assignments are received and carried out under an established command structure in compliance with recognized professional police standards and procedures, and departmental policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Police officers patrol assigned areas, respond to calls for assistance, protect life and property, enforce laws and ordinances, assist citizens, gather information and evidence, document complaints, investigate crimes, make arrests, control, and direct traffic, investigate crashes, prepare reports, serve arrest warrants, testify in court, etc.
- Police officers are expected to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, by listening, and by giving information, direction, and verbal commands.
- Police officers perform other related duties as assigned by a supervisor.
Benefits and Salary
Base Annual Salary: (Not including overtime and other contractual pay.)
- $50,869.92/yr. Certified Police Officer with no experience
- $54,799.86/yr. Certified Police Officer with more than one year of full-time sworn Police Officer experience
- $58,729.81/yr. Certified Police Officer with more than two years of full-time sworn Police Officer experience
- $70,519.65/yr. Current maximum base salary.
- Generous paid time off package
- (MERS) Defined Benefit Pension plan
- Dental & Optical Insurance
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance (HSA)
- Life Insurance
- 457(b) Supplemental Retirement option
- Tuition Reimbursement program
- Must be certified by MCOLES standards OR currently enrolled in a MCOLES certified Police Academy or Police Certification Program with proof of same. Applicants who fail to meet the above requirements shall become ineligible (certification must be maintained throughout the term of the eligibility).
- Must be 18 years of age as of the date of application.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must have High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must have an exemplary criminal history with no felony convictions.
- Must possess a valid Michigan Driver License with good driving record. Out-of-state applicants must provide current driving record at time of application and obtain State of Michigan license within one (1) month of employment.
- Must have passed the MCOLES pre-employment reading and writing test.
- Must have passed the MCOLES physical standards test for determining fitness for the performance of duties.
- Must have vision correctable to 20/20 with no major defects; normal color and normal hearing.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills in order to deal with the public firmly, courteously and tactfully.
- Must possess the ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and be able to determine the proper course of action.
- Must have the ability to react quickly and calmly under stressful situations.
How To Apply
To apply, visit the Romulus Police Department Website. The deadline to apply for this position is November 5, 2022. Proof of MCOLES physical agility/written test scores must be submitted upon applying. For questions, contact Human Resources at 734-942-7512.
All applications will be reviewed by Human Resources and police personnel. Applicants who pass the initial screening and meet the minimum qualifications will be contacted for an oral board interview. Those passing the oral interview must successfully complete a background investigation, psychological evaluation, pre-employment physical and drug screen prior to appointment.