Full-Time Plymouth Township Police Officer Position
The Plymouth Township Police Department is seeking a full-time police officer. As a full-time Plymouth Township Police Officer, including duties are enforcement of laws and ordinances, apprehending, processing, and prosecuting offenders, controlling and regulating traffic, and conducting general and special patrols within the Township using a patrol car, by foot, or other methods of travel to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of peace and arrest violators. Officers are paid bi-weekly and have a 207(k) exemption under FLSA that applies to this position. Officers are currently scheduled seven (7) twelve (12) hour days every two weeks for a total of 84 hours per fourteen (14) day pay period.
A full complement of Township benefits includes health insurance, dental insurance, vision care, life insurance, long-term disability, defined contribution pension plan, deferred compensation plan, and other benefits more fully described in the union contract and the Township personnel policies manual. Note that benefits are subject to change based on collective bargaining. The starting salary for this position is $51,805.00 with a top of $85,461.00.
- Candidates with prior police agency experience should apply directly with the Township; those Candidates without prior experience must take the EMPCO written exam and appear on the EMPCO’s eligibility list to be considered contact EMPCO.
- Must pass a post-offer, pre-hire medical examination, and drug screening test. All candidates will undergo psychological screening and background investigation to be employable.
- Must have a minimum of an Associate Degree or equivalent.
- Must be a United States Citizen.
- Must have no felony convictions and must possess good moral character.
- Must possess a valid Michigan operator’s or chauffeur’s license and a good driving record.
- All candidates must be MCOLES licensed or licensed at the time of application or attending a state-certified police academy.
Essential Job Functions
Qualified applicants must be self-directed, self-motivated, and well-organized. Applicants must be able to prioritize work tasks, work on multiple tasks simultaneously, and meet deadlines. They must have an excellent command of written language skills, including punctuation, grammar, spelling, and use of reference materials and formats. In addition to communication skills, they can operate various office equipment such as computers, fax machines, and copy machines.
- Accommodations for the Disabled: Qualified candidates who require reasonable accommodations in order to perform the essential functions of this position or to participate in the testing process must notify the Charter Township of Plymouth Human Resource Department. Hearing or speech-impaired persons using TDDs or similar devices may contact the Michigan Relay Center toll-free at +1 (800) 649-3777 to communicate directly with the Human Resources Department during regular working hours.
- Background Investigation: A background investigation will be conducted on candidates who meet the position qualifications – this may include, but is not limited to, a criminal history check, driving record, employment history verification, references, and financial qualifications.
- Medical Exams: A post-offer, pre-hire physical exam to determine the ability to perform the position’s essential functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) and a drug screen will be required.
- Psychological Screening: A post-offer, pre-hire psychological screening will be conducted to determine if the candidate meets MCOLES standards.
- Probationary Period: Newly hired police officers must serve a one calendar year probationary period from the hire date described in the union contract. Probationary employees are exempt from the department’s progressive discipline process. As such, employment can be terminated at any time during the probationary period, with or without notice and with or without cause.
How to Apply
Applicants may apply directly with the Township if they have prior police agency experience and those with no experience will be selected from the current EMPCO list. Qualified applicants must complete and submit an employment application in one of three ways:
- Mail it to Plymouth Township, 9955 N. Haggerty Rd., Plymouth, MI 48170.
- Dropping it off at the Township Hall in the CLERKS DEPARTMENT.
- After hours: drop the Application (in an envelope) in the GREEN MAILBOX in front of the Township Hall.
The Charter Township of Plymouth does not discriminate against any individual or group because of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, color, marital status, handicap, arrest record, height, or weight in employment or the provision of services.