Westland Police Officer Positions
The City of Westland is seeking to hire qualified applicants to fill immediate openings for their full-time Police Officers.
The City of Westland Police Department has a mission of providing excellent police services and working in partnership with the community for its residents, visitors, and the Westland business community. The duties will include but are not limited to, patrol, criminal investigation, traffic enforcement, and traffic crash investigations.
The selected applicants for the Police Officer position must meet the following requirements:
- A citizen of the United States
- 21 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license
- Police Academy graduate and MCOLES certified (or certifiable at time of hire), or Law Enforcement Academy attendee at the time of application
Proof of the above requirements must be submitted with the application.
Fringe benefits include Uniform allowance, holiday pay, weapons qualification pay, optical, medical and hospitalization insurance, dental, vacation, sick and personal leave days, life insurance, and pension. A detailed description follows below.
Please note: The Westland Police Officers Association signed a four-year collective bargaining agreement on May 5, 2020. This new CBA included major improvements to the police officers’ benefits, including:
- Starting salary/compensation package of $53,804 (prior experience will start at a higher pay rate.)
- Top salary/compensation package of $87,093
- Defined Benefit Pension plan with a multiplier of 2.25 or an option of a defined contribution plan with an employer match
- Top vacation accrual of 260 hours per year
- Vacation hours above 240 will be paid off at 100% each year
- 18 hours of sick time per month
- 15 paid holidays
- 72 hours of personal time per year
- A bonus of 48 hours of vacation time per year will be added to your bank if less than 48 hours of sick time are used in a calendar year
- At the employee’s option, excess sick hours are paid off at 100% for anything over 400 hours per year
How to Apply
Applications are available online. Applicants must answer all questions completely and truthfully, including the state-mandated MCOLES documents. Failure to do so will result in rejection of your application (you will not be considered for employment), or, if not discovered until a later date, may result in discipline or discharge from employment. Additionally, applicants will be required to take the written portion of their testing through EMPCO. Please make sure you meet the requirements above before paying for and taking the written test.
Applicants must submit their completed applications to the Westland City Clerk’s Office, 36300 Warren Road, Westland, MI 48185, or through email.
Applications are due Friday, April 29th on or before 4 p.m.
Only applicants submitting completed applications with the aforementioned attachments may be considered for testing.
For More Information about the Westland Police Officers Position
The Westland Police Department also offers many different assignments and opportunities for advancement. If you have any questions about the contract or what the department has to offer, please direct all questions and comments to Westland Police Department‘s recruitment department by phone, (734) 722-9600, or email, email@example.com.
The City of Westland is an equal opportunity employer and shall consider all qualified applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, handicap, or any other protected category.