Museum Security Officer Opening
The University of Michigan (U-M) is looking for qualified applicants for their Museum Security Officer position in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Under the general supervision of the DPSS Security Supervisor, Security Officers provide superior security and customer service. Officers protect the assets and property of the University, ensure public safety and act as the primary liaison with state and local police, fire and security agencies, and represent the University of Michigan. Also, the officers maintain confidentiality in police and/or security matters and provide traffic and crowd control for special events and University-sponsored activities.
This position is under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Police Officers Association of Michigan union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
This position requires the candidate to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, drug screening, psychological evaluation, and physical examination. Additionally, the position requires driving a university vehicle so the candidate must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record of less than 6 points.
- Graduation from high school or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Some prior security-related experience
- Knowledge and/or experience of enforcement of fire, safety, and security
- Must be able to assist emergency response personnel with maneuvering persons who may be combative, intoxicated, or unconscious; may be required to restrain someone with or without assistance
- As a matter of routine, officers must be able to effectively communicate and interact with diverse populations
- Observe/detect/identify individuals, safety hazards, and criminal elements within their patrol areas
- Act calmly and authoritatively in an emergency situation; utilize emergency equipment such as fire extinguishers, etc. and perform life-saving techniques such as CPR and First Aid
- Standing and patrolling for a minimum of 8 hours per shift. Security personnel are regularly required to ascend and descend multiple flights of stairs as part of their routine patrol and move departmental equipment, such as barricades and fire extinguishers from one location to another
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and must possess basic keyboarding skills
- Work schedules may include nights, weekends, afternoons, holidays and occasional unanticipated overtime
- A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior police officer training or senior security officer experience preferred
- Previous experience working in a university setting
Apply Today To Become a Museum Security Officer
Interested applicants can apply by visiting the University of Michigan’s Careers Website. Applicants must submit a cover letter, required for consideration. The cover letter should be attached as the first page of your resume, and it should address your departmental interest and outline skills & experience related to this position.
Applications close Monday, October 7th.
For More Information
Please direct all questions and responses to the University of Michigan’s Careers page.
Related Job Opening: Protective Service Officer (Part-Time)