Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards
The Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) is seeking qualified individuals to compete for the position of Executive Director. Serious candidates are invited to apply and submit a resume accompanied by a cover letter describing the candidate’s experience and employment goals no later than July 10, 2017 (see end paragraph “To Apply for this Position” for directions on how to apply)1.
About this Position: This position serves as the Executive Director of the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES), a 19-member commission appointed by the Governor of Michigan. The Executive Director is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of the Commission. The Executive Director is responsible for carrying out the policy directives set by the Commission, pursuant to Michigan Public Act 203 of 1965, and for conforming the operations and practices of the Commission and its staff to the policies of state government. The Executive Director also functions as the administrative head of the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards. Key duties of the Executive Director are as follows:
- Serves as the Commission’s representative with the law enforcement, training and criminal justice communities;
- Serves as the Commission’s policy expert and legislative liaison;
- Represents the Commission at national and state meetings with educators, law enforcement officials, legislators and other professional groups;
- Provides direction, management and supervision to a professional staff in the administration of the state’s statutorily mandated standards for selection, training, employment, licensing, and retention of Michigan’s 18,000 law enforcement officers;
- Administers the Michigan Justice Training program, which distributes funding in support of criminal justice in-service training, pursuant to Michigan Public Act 302 of 1982;
- Administers the Public Safety Officer Benefits program, providing a financial benefit to public safety officers who have suffered permanently disabling injuries or to survivors and dependents of officers who died in the line of duty, pursuant to Michigan Public Act 46 of 2004.
- Administers funding programs which provide financial assistance to law enforcement agencies in developing law enforcement officer candidates.
- Administers the federally funded Stop Violence Against Women program; and,
- Provides oversight of the MCOLES Information and Tracking Network (MITN), a web enabled information system providing a platform for statutorily mandated business transactions between MCOLES and its law enforcement and criminal justice clients across the State of Michigan.
Candidate Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have accumulated a well-balanced professional portfolio that includes practical experience in law enforcement as well as academic achievement. Work experience including the supervision of personnel, project management, budget development and administrative leadership is a requisite for this position. A candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree, however, an advanced degree and/or evidence of advanced or continuing education is preferable. Candidates for this position must demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills. Candidates must be willing to engage in competitive personnel screening exercises designed to assist the Commission in identifying the most qualified candidate for this position including participation in a final interview process open to the public. A successful candidate will also be required to participate in several pre-appointment assessments. Please see notice below.
Salary and Benefits: The Executive Director will be compensated as an unclassified, at-will member of state government. A full benefit package will be available. This is a defined contribution position. The salary range for this position is $89,305 to $129,541, depending on education and experience levels.
To Apply for this Position: Serious candidates are invited to apply for this position. Application must be made through Michigan’s online hiring system. The State of Michigan Job Openings site may be accessed at http://agency.governmentjobs,com/michigan/default.cfm. This will direct you to the Job Openings home page:
- Click on the filter icon at the top right of the main part of the page
- Click on “Job Category” & check the administration box.
You will be redirected to a page that looks like the screenshot below, where you’ll be able to select the application for this position.
You must respond no later than July 10, 2017. We also require that applicants electronically attach the following documents to their application: a copy of the applicant’s resume; and, a cover letter describing the candidate’s experience, employment goals and reason for applying for this position. Specific directions on how to make these attachments may be found at the State Jobs site. Letters of endorsement should be sent by the endorsing party directly to:
Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards
106 W. Allegan, Suite 600
P.O. Box 30633
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Attention: Executive Director Search
The successful candidate will be required to undergo a pre-appointment background investigation, drug testing, and a psychological evaluation.
One response to “MCOLES Looking for New Executive Director”
Posted by top financial advisors
I have fun with, lead to I found just what I used to be having a look for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye
Posted on May 31, 2017 at 5:25 PM