Detroit Transportation Corporation is looking for a certified Michigan police officer for their Entry-Level Transit Police Officer position.
Entry-Level Transit Police Officer Job Description
The position of Transit Police Officer will perform general law enforcement duties as outlined by the Detroit Transportation Corporation (DTC), Detroit Department ofTransportation (DDOT), and M-1 Rail (Q-Line). This officer is expected to but not limited to:
- Enforcement of traffic laws
- Issue tickets
- Appear in court
- Respond to accidents
- Properly apprehend violators of city ordinances or state statutes
- Convey detainees tactically to a designated location
- Respond to complaints by transit customers
- Protect the integrity of revenue on and throughout the system
Illustrative examples of work and environment:
- Deployment strategies include foot and car patrol, with an assigned patrol of facilities, bus, rail and train systems
- Police response to pedestrians, traffic control, accident scenes, incident containment, and crime prevention within the jurisdiction of the DTC, DDOT, and Q-Line
- Investigation of incident or crime with proper crime scene security and witness identification, preservation of evidence, documentation, and relay of information to investigative staff
- Maintain and encourage effective working relationships within the community as a public ambassador representing the DTC, DDOT, and Q-Line in a becoming and appropriate manner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of:
- Law enforcement methods and equipment
- Applicable state and local laws, ordinances, and regulations
- Departmental rules and regulations
- Territory secured by OTC, DDOT, and Q-Line
Reasonable Knowledge of:
District, circuit, or other court rules and procedures
Function calmly and efficiently under conditions of stress
Deal with persons under great emotional stress and maintain control of the situation
Apply investigative techniques:
- Establish and maintain harmonious relationships with other employees and to deal tactfully with the public
- Quickly reach emergency situations within the jurisdiction and exercise proper judgment as a certified police officer
- Operate a motor vehicle as a certified police officer
- Exercise skill in the use of firearms and other weapons as a certified police officer
- Exercise skill in self-defense
- Assist citizens and transit patrons professionally, and render emergency first aid, including CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) when necessary
- Perform revenue protection duties with DTC, DDOT, and Q-Line systems, at all stations designated as a revenue collection facility
- US citizen aged 18 or greater, having successfully obtained a High School Diploma or GED. An associate degree or military experience is preferred.
- Must have a valid driving license and good driving record.
- Must be qualified to obtain or possess, a concealed pistol license (CPL).
- Must successfully pass a background investigation, to include verification of employment, education, criminal history, and driving record.
- Must successfully qualify with a firearm.
- Must be a certified police officer in the state of Michigan, with verification by the Michigan commission on law enforcement standards (MCOLES).
- The weight of the application process includes chiefs interview panel: 100%; psych evaluation: pass/fail; background investigation: pass/fail.
- At the time of the chiefs interview panel meeting, candidates are required to produce original paper degrees, transcripts, and MCOLES certification.
- At the time of appointment, applicants are required to pass a complete pre-employment medical examination including drug testing by a physician authorized by the DTC.
- Probationary period: appointees must satisfactorily complete a one-year probationary period before the appointment will be considered regular.
How to apply:
If you have additional questions or ideas, please contact Brenda Walker, Human Resources, Detroit Transportation Corporation/Detroit People Mover, at email@example.com or (313) 949-9128 (mobile).
detroit transportation corporation
535 Griswold, Ste. #400, Detroit, MI 48226
Main: (313) 224-2160