Location: Police Station | Royal Oak, MI | Police
Days Worked: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Open Until: March 21, 2018 at 04:30 PM EST
Job Status: Full-Time Rate of Pay: $53,643 – $65,941
Position Type: Civil Service (candidates are required to take and successfully complete a written exam)
A Police Officer is responsible for the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. Work will usually consist of routine patrol tasks performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations. A superior officer regularly checks the work of a Police Officer and gives specific instructions and assistance when special problems arise, although the Police Officer is required to exercise independent discretion when faced with emergency conditions. Work may involve an element of personal danger. Communications are maintained with headquarters through a two-way radio system.
Qualifications for Employment
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement principles, procedures, techniques, and equipment.
- Ability to read, interpret and obey laws, regulations, and departmental rules.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, and to communicate effectively.
- Ability to analyze situations and to adopt a quick, effective, and reasonable course of action.
- Ability to develop skill and discretion in the use of firearms.
- Ability to deal courteously but firmly with the general public
- Ability to learn the geography of, and surrounding, the City of Royal Oak and the location of important buildings.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to function effectively under stress and in emergency situations.
- Ability to remember names, faces, pertinent facts, and details of incidents; a keen sense of observation.
- Ability to successfully complete all job-related training during the probationary period.
- Skill in the operation of various tools and equipment such as police car, police radio, radar gun, handgun, and other weapons as required, as well as a pager and first aid equipment.
- Willingness to work outdoors and occasionally be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat.
Required Education & Training
A Police Officer upon application, shall meet the following requirements:
- A minimum of two years of college education, at least 60 semester hours from an accredited a recognized college or university. (Applicants must meet this requirement by the end of this semester.)
- YOU MUST ATTACH OR SEND US PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRANSCRIPTS, OR DIPLOMA COPY, PRIOR TO THE APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Must have passed the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards written and physical agility tests as required by state law, and as evidenced by a valid official notification.
- YOU MUST ATTACH OR SEND US PROOF PRIOR TO THE APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Have a valid motor vehicle operator’s permit with a good driving record.
Application Special Instructions
- Applicants must visit EMPCO Testing to register for the EMPCO Police Officer exam, complete the exam, and have a passing score on file with EMPCO in order to be considered for the next step in the hiring process.
- There is a fee to take the examination, but the results of this one test will be accepted by all participating police departments in Michigan. The City of Royal Oak requires a minimum passing score of 70.
- Applicants must submit a City of Royal Oak employment application packet.
- Applications are available online at the City of Royal Oak’s website.
- Only if you are unable to complete an online application, please contact Human Resources at 248-246-3070, or stop by our office to pick up a paper application.
- Please be sure to provide proof of education, MCOLES pre-certification written and physical agility test results, and DD-214 if you are claiming veteran status.
Qualified candidates will be contacted by the city to complete a personal history questionnaire (PHQ) in order to be eligible for the next round of the recruitment process.