Sponsored Police Recruit Position
The Grand Rapids Police Department is looking for motivated individuals that want to make a difference in the City of Grand Rapids. The department will be hiring police recruits for our sponsored class to attend the Grand Valley State University Police Academy in the fall of 2022. This hiring process opens on Monday, January 31st, 2022, and applications will only be taken until Monday, February 14th at 11:59 p.m. This position does not require any training or experience in law enforcement, only the desire to work with and serve members of the Grand Rapids community. Your academy fees will be paid for by GRPD and you will be paid while you attend the academy.
Grand Rapids is booming, home to West Michigan’s Medical Mile, located in the heart of West Michigan; close to dozens of lakes and rivers, a hub of entertainment and exploration, and a short commute from many small suburban towns. Offering some of the top pay in the state with a strong pension system to complement our mission to support our employees with the latest equipment and technology offered, the City of Grand Rapids is also providing professional, progressive, and responsive service to our diverse community.
Below is a link to the online application and our website, which has much more information about requirements, salary, and job responsibilities.
This recruitment process is for the selection of candidates to be hired by the City of Grand Rapids in February 2022, at which time selected candidates will be sponsored to attend a designated Police Academy. The Police Academy starts on May 2, 2022, and concludes with graduation on August 11, 2022. You must be available for that entire training academy and pass the MCOLES State Licensing Exam for Police Officers at the end of the academy.
If selected, you will be a paid City of Grand Rapids Police Department employee from the start of the Academy in August 2022 with the expectation that your employment will continue after academy graduation and passing the licensing exam, which would result in promotion to the Police Officer classification.
Grand Rapids Police Officers respond to emergency calls for service on a 24-hour a day basis. These positions perform duties that deter crime, respond to citizen calls for service, protect property, and resolve conflicts between different people. Officers interact with the public on a daily basis.
Minimum Training and Experience
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid driver’s license or be able to obtain a Michigan Driver’s license by date of hire
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Some experience involving communicating with people under varying circumstances
- Ability to pass a background investigation
- Ability to meet MCOLES requirements
Other Necessary Qualifications
- Pass MCOLES Reading and Writing Exam
- Pass MCOLES Physical Fitness pre-employment examinations within 180 days of starting a Police Academy
- Other MCOLES minimum requirements reference the following standards: Physical Ability, Hearing Standards, Psychological Fitness, Vision/Color Standards, Training Requirements, Licensing Exam, Fingerprinting, Oral Interview, and Drug Testing
EXPECTED HIRING TIMELINE (Dates may be subject to change)
- Application Deadline: Monday, February 14th
- Civil Service Test: Friday, February 18th through Monday, February 28th
- Background Packet to be emailed upon passing the test
- Background Packets Due Date: 14 days from receipt
- MCOLES pre-Academy Pre-Academy Reading/Writing and physical agility testing requirements: Must complete by Thursday, April 14th
- Interviews: Wednesday, March 30th; Wednesday, April 13th; and Wednesday, April 20th
- Chief’s Interviews: Thursday, June 9th and Friday, June 10th
- Police Academy Orientation: Friday, July 29th
- Police Academy begins: Monday, August 29th
All communication regarding this position will be done via email. Please ensure that your email address is up-to-date on your account profile.
THIS POLICE RECRUIT POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY SOCIAL SECURITY. FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS, PLEASE CLICK HERE.
Should an applicant need any disability-related accommodation or other consideration in the application or selection process, please notify the human resources department upon submittal of the application.
The City of Grand Rapids does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy or gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.GRPD Recruit Flyer Sept 2021