Michigan Court of Appeals’ Court Security Officer Role Available
The Michigan Court of Appeals (COA) is hiring a Court Security Officer for their department. The salary ranges from $45,455.76 – $57,942.00 per year.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide armed security and ensure the safety for all Court of Appeals (COA) facilities, employees, and visitors with the following duties:
- Provide armed security and basic first aid response for the Court of Appeals and all who work in or visit COA facilities.
- Prepare monthly for oral arguments by setting up a recording device, preparing robing room for judicial use, checking in attorneys, and ensuring the courtroom is secure for case calls.
- Assign contractual court security officers and serve as a court bailiff.
- Greet, monitor, and scan visitors using the metal detector and x-ray scanning device.
- Evaluate security risks and recommend appropriate action including summoning police or security officers for any necessary incident. Conduct and document complaint investigations.
- Provide security to COA judges at off-site locations. Serve as liaison with local law enforcement. Conduct security advances at all off-site locations.
- Conduct background investigations on contractual employees and coordinate facility maintenance with the Department of Management and Budget.
- Conduct bi-monthly duress alarm testing and inspect the defibrillators on a semi-annual basis.
- Serve as a courier, receive and make deliveries of confidential materials to various destinations.
- Provides assistance to Information Systems by handling a variety of basic computer monitor/server issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s degree or equivalent with courses in criminal justice, or a related field.
- Three or more years of experience as an MCOLES certified police officer and experience providing knowledge of security systems and procedures.
- Concealed weapons permit and the ability to successfully complete a weapons proficiency program with annual certification based on Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards.
- Experience in criminal investigation and experience utilizing video surveillance and audio recordings preferred.
Grand Rapids State Office Building, Grand Rapids, MI. Occasional travel to the Court offices in Detroit, Troy, and Lansing is required.
APPLY for the Court Security Officer Position
Please send your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat to email@example.com and include “Court Security Officer” in the subject line. If you are unable to send application materials electronically, please contact Judicial Human Resources by phone, (517) 373-1147.
The application deadline is Monday, January 17, 2022, at 5 p.m.
For More Information
Please direct all questions and comments to the court’s website or contact Jennifer Altemeier by phone, (517) 373-1147.
The Michigan Court of Appeals is an equal opportunity employer.