Grand Rapids Road Closure Information
As our members and other visitors alike get ready to hit the road to attend POAM’s Annual Convention, there’s some road closure information to be aware of. Avoid temporary traffic disruptions and plan quick, convenient routes ahead of time.
Read the following road closure information:
- Traffic should take Ionia North to access the I-196 on ramps. Note beginning April 1, WB I-196 will be closed over the Grand River.
Outside of Kent County Projects
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will be doing additional roadwork outside of Kent County.
- Closures on I-96 in Ionia County and I-196 in Ottawa County could impact your drive into Grand Rapids and Kent County
- Please check out Michigan Drive Map for the most up-to-date information regarding lane closures, traffic cameras, and incidents
Westbound I-196 Road Closures (April 1 – August 30)
- Westbound (WB) I-196 will be closed over the Grand River near US-131 for widening and deck replacement
- From April 1 – August 30, WB I-196 will not have access to US-131 and only one lane of traffic will be open to access to Fuller Ave, College Ave, and the Ottawa Ave/Downtown exit
Recommended Routes to and through downtown Grand Rapids
- WB I-96 traffic should use M-6 to Northbound US-131
- WB traffic entering I-96 after M-6 should continue on I-96 to Southbound US-131 into downtown
Eastbound I-96 Road Closure (Early June – November)
- Eastbound (EB) I-96 will be closed at Leonard St for approximately 5 months while a bridge is removed and rebuilt
- EB I-96 traffic should use Southbound US-131 to EB I-196 in downtown Grand Rapids. EB I-196 will continue into EB I-96 towards Lansing
For More Information
For additional road closure information, visit Experience Grand Rapids.