Kelsey’s Law Scholarship Information
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Michigan Traffic Crash Facts, 4,361 young drivers (between 15 and 20 years of age) were involved in fatal car crashes in 2017. The Michigan Auto Law created the Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship to inspire change in teens who drive distracted and help prevent car accidents.
This scholarship was created to honor Kelsey Raffaele, 17, of Sault Ste. Marie, who tragically died in a cell phone-related automobile crash in 2010, and will award four winners.
Michigan Auto Law will award $5,000 worth of scholarships to Michigan students. Applicants must submit a persuasive message to convince young drivers to reduce distractions while driving.
Messages may be in the form of a video, graphic, or tweet to resonates with teens and influences their driving behavior. Judges will consider the following factors during the selection process:
- Ability to persuade others, especially teen drivers, to stop texting while driving
- Ability to grab the attention of your friends, peers, and family
- A clear and understandable message
- Demonstration of your personal creativity and ingenuity
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship awards will go towards tuition at any university, college, or technical school in the U.S. for higher education. Michigan Auto Law will send funds directly to the school within one year of the scholarship deadline.
- Open to 11th and 12th-grade students (Class of 2020 and 2021) attending any public or private Michigan high school (finalists must provide proof of enrollment with a student I.D. or transcript)
- The applicants must be a Michigan resident with a valid Michigan driver’s license
- If under the age of 18 by April 15, 2020, finalists must present a signed parental consent form by a parent or guardian if selected as a finalist
Interested candidates should apply to this scholarship online. The deadline to apply to this scholarship is Tuesday, March 31, 2020.
Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship finalists will be notified by April 12th, 2020. The winners’ announcement will happen sometime during April 2020 to coincide with National Distracted Driving Awareness Month.
For More Information
Please direct all questions, comments, and responses to the Michigan Auto Law company by visiting their website today!
Related Post: Getting a Head Start on College Savings