POAM would like to share with you Comerica Park’s firearm policy, sent directly to us by the Detroit Tigers Security Manager.
To Our Partners and Colleagues in Law Enforcement,
With the start of the 2016 MLB baseball season right around the corner, we wanted to remind you of our policy regarding the carrying of firearms into Comerica Park by off-duty and retired law enforcement officers.
Firearms are prohibited from being brought into Comerica Park, however the Detroit Tigers extend MCOLES licensed off-duty and retired law enforcement officers the option of carrying their firearms into the stadium while attending a game or other event.
In 2014 we implemented the following policies In order to have an accounting of how many armed off-duty and/or retired officers are in attendance at Comerica Park during games or events. These same policies remain in effect this year.
- Only MCOLES licensed law enforcement officers, or federal equivalent, are permitted to carry firearms into Comerica Park.
- Reserve and auxiliary officers, and members of sheriff posse’s are not permitted to carry firearms inside Comerica Park.
- Retired law enforcement officers must have an ID card stating that they are retired and a Michigan CPL that exempts them from the pistol free zones.
- Entrance is at Gate D only, which is located on Montcalm Street on the north side of the stadium. Upon entering the gate you must show your ID to Comerica Park security staff.
- Your name, rank, badge number, department, and seat numbers will be recorded, and you will be required to wear a color-coded wrist band that we attach to your gun hand. The purpose of this discreet colored wrist band is known only to our security staff and the working members of the Detroit Police Department detail, and identifies you as an armed law enforcement officer should some type of critical incident take place.
Starting this season, we have implemented additional requirements. Active off-duty and retired law enforcement officers who desire to carry their firearm into Comerica Park must now sign a Terms of Service and Hold Harmless Agreement. By signing this agreement, an active off-duty or retired law enforcement officer acknowledges that they are aware of:
- Applicable Michigan statutes regarding the possession of a firearm and allowable blood alcohol content levels.
- That an active law enforcement officer is in compliance with their respective agency or departments rules, regulations, policies, and orders, as it relates to carrying a firearm off-duty.
- That although armed, in the event an off-duty active law enforcement officer or retiree witnesses a felony crime and decides to take action, that said action is being undertaken as a private citizen with no police authority. The exception to this is an off-duty law enforcement officer who is a member of the Michigan Department of State Police, Wayne County Sheriff’s Office, or City of Detroit Police Department, who would otherwise have jurisdiction.
- That the Detroit Tigers, Inc. and Comerica Park are held harmless for any and all liability that may be caused by an off-duty or retired law enforcement officers’ actions while armed.
Please feel free to share this information with your law enforcement constituents.
Questions regarding this policy can be directed to Detroit Tigers Security Manager Mike Moorman at 313-471-2079.