Canton Police Officer Job Opening
Become a Canton Police Officer today!
The Canton Township Public Safety Department is hiring full-time police officers as multiple immediate vacancies exist. This position’s pay range is between $46,087 to $76,387. For consideration, applications must be submitted on or before Thursday, February 28, 2019. Applicants will receive a selection questionnaire via email within 7 business days of submitting their application. The completed responses will assist in the screening process.
The Canton Police Officers position consists of general police work in the protection of life and property and the enforcement of criminal and traffic laws and local ordinances. An employee in this class is responsible for the protection of life and property; prevention of crime; apprehension of criminals; and the general enforcement of laws and ordinances in a designated area on an assigned shift. The employee may be assigned to special details and to a training capacity. Also, the employee must be able to independently exercise quick, sound judgment in applying appropriate police methods in emergency situations. As the employee acquires experience on the job, s/he will be granted additional responsibility. Work is supervised by a superior officer through personal inspection, review of reports, and through general appraisal of the effectiveness of the police service.
- Patrols a designated area of the Township to preserve law and order, to prevent/discover the commission of crime, and to enforce motor vehicle operation and parking regulations
- Answers calls and complaints involving automobile accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies.
- At the scene of an accident, crime, or fire administers first aid; conducts preliminary investigations; gathers evidence; obtains witnesses, and may make arrests and take prisoners to jail.
- Responds to calls at addresses of commercial, residential and adjoining areas.
- At central police desk, interviews persons with complaints and inquiries, and attempts to make the proper disposition or directs them to proper authorities.
- Furnishes escorts when required.
- Prepares evidence for issuance of complaints, testifies as a witness in court, and makes reports of all activities and disposition of cases.
- Maintains order in court; conducts prisoners to the court from detention quarters; serves criminal process including warrants and departmental subpoenas
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to learn the streets and physical layout of the Township and adjoining areas.
- Some knowledge of first aid methods.
- Some knowledge of modern approved principles, practices, and procedures of police work.
- Some skill in the use of firearms.
- Ability to learn and uphold relevant state laws and Township ordinances.
- Ability to satisfactorily complete required training.
- Ability to react competently, quickly and calmly in emergency conditions.
- Ability and strength for prolonged and arduous work under adverse conditions.
- Ability to cooperate with supervisors and other employees and to accept lines of authority.
- Ability to deal with the public in a tactful and courteous manner.
- Ability and willingness to comply with the Department’s Standards of Appearance policy.
Necessary Special Qualifications
- Certified or certifiable as a Michigan Police Officer or currently enrolled in a recognized Police Academy; must have Police Officer Certification from the State of Michigan at time of hire.
- A minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Law Enforcement or related field
- Must possess a current, valid Michigan Driver’s License with a driving history that does not create liability concerns, including convictions of reckless driving, careless driving, suspended license, or convictions involving drinking and impaired driving.
- Successful completion of the MCOLES Reading and Writing Skills Examination.
- Applicants must have successfully completed MCOLES Physical Fitness Test within the past twelve months at the time of interview.
For additional information about the Canton Police Officer position and its duties, application and questionnaire processes, please read the full job position description.
Direct all questions and comments to the Canton Township Human Resources Department, or call at (734) 394-5260.
Job Opening: The City of Ann Arbor’s PSS Cadet