POAM Executive Board Meeting Minutes for September 2008
1. The September 12, 2008, Executive Board Meeting was called to order by President James Tignanelli. The meeting was held at the POAM Office in Redford, MI.
Present: Tignanelli, Kuhn, Birdseye, Funke, Radovic, Spidell, Grabowski, DeVries, Lewis, Pushee, Beerbower, Griffin, Loftis, Scherer, Zacks, Atkinson, Allgeier, LaMontaine, Valentine and Hochstein.
2. President’s Report
President James Tignanelli called the meeting to order.
· Introduced Mark Covert of United Insurance Group. (Brochures and literature on file).
· Discussion on Retirees insurance and individual insurance plans for officers.
3. Vice President’s Report
The following were voted into membership of the RPOAM:
1.Mark Jabour (Dearborn PD)
2. Eric Cullum (Dearborn PD)
4. Secretary’s Report
Motion by Mark Zacks, seconded by Scott Atkinson to accept the minutes of the August 8, 2008 meeting. Carried unanimously.
5. Treasurer’s Report
Motion by Pat Spidell, seconded by Jim DeVries to approve the Finance Committee meeting minutes of September 11, 2008. Carried unanimously.
6. Old Business
·Motion by Wayne Beerbower, seconded by Jerry Radovic to approve VEBA for full-time employees, as well as board approval for the past 2 years of contributions, which were based on an actuarial study.
· Second motion to support and approve the 2009 monthly amount that will be based on the new study to be received prior to the end of the year.
7. New Business
· Legislative Director Ken Grabowski introduces former State Representative David Law who is campaigning for Oakland County Prosecutor.
David Law advised the board that in the last 3-1/2 years as a State Representative he was the primary sponsor or co-sponsor of numerous House Bills and Initiatives. (Political literature is on file).
· Legislative Director Ken Grabowski advises of the current petition drive for Marijuana for Medical Purposes.
8. Motion to Adjourn.
Motion to adjourn made by Dave LaMontaine, seconded by Dave Hochstein. Next Executive Board meeting to be held at the POAM office in Redford, MI on October 2, 2008.
POLICE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION OF MICHIGAN
James Tignanelli Thomas K. Funke