Plans for the 4th annual Walleyes for Warriors Veteran’s charity recreational event are well underway! Again, ALL Veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are encouraged to participate, especially those who served in overseas conflicts, have service-connected disabilities, Purple Hearts, or were POWs. We expect to have an excellent turnout again!
Highlights from the 2013 Walleyes For Warriors event include:
- Over 90 volunteer boat captains took almost 200 Veterans from Vets Park onto the Saginaw Bay for 5 hours of fishing.
- Over 1,000 walleye were caught, measured, weighed, and cleaned (Veterans took home their cleaned fish)!
- U.S. flags were flying along both sides of the river and military music played on the loudspeakers as crowds cheered.
- Sack lunches were provided to each fisherman. A catered roast pork dinner was provided under a large outdoor tent.
- Veterans wore printed WFW t-shirts, given decals for their vehicles, and were provided with numerous donated gifts.
- Motorcycle groups gave a special honor to the Veterans. The Ogitchedaw Veterans and Warriors Society of the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe did a drum ceremony.
- Discounts were given at local motels and financial help was given for those who would have been otherwise unable to attend. Gifts of money were also given to some recently returned Veterans in need.
In order to make an event like this possible, sponsors and donors are critical! Presenting sponsors were generous in providing for large expenses. Many other sponsors were equally important and their willingness to provide for this event made it a quality and memorable experience for everyone involved. The event was so meaningful that within a week calls and emails were already coming in from Veterans, sponsors and donors, and volunteers wanting to be sure they were part of the event in 2014!
If you are willing to be a sponsor or donor for the 2014 Walleyes for Warriors event, please download the PDF below and check out the Sponsorship Form on the back side of this brochure.