Telecommunicator Position Opening
Saginaw County is seeking a qualified applicant for its Telecommunicator position within its 911 Central Dispatch department. This is a full-time position.
Under the general supervision of the Central Dispatch Director and Supervisors, the Emergency Telecommunicator (Dispatcher) receives requests for police, fire, and emergency medical assistance from the public. Dispatches and/or relays calls for service to the appropriate police, fire, and emergency medical agencies or units. Assists emergency service agencies by collecting, storing, retrieving, and disseminating information vital to their operations.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Possess a valid Michigan Driver’s license.
- Have a good driving record
- No criminal record
- Must be willing to work a variety of 12-hour shifts, weekends, nights, and holidays with varying days off
- Ability to type a minimum of 40 net words per minute
- Ability to perform multi-tasks within a high-stress working environment
- Ability to operate a number of computer systems
- Must be able to effectively communicate orally and remain calm in emergency situations
- Prior work experience with police, fire, or EMS agencies desired
Benefits & Salary
The interested applicant will receive the following if hired in:
- A membership in Municipal Employees Retirement System (MERS) retirement
- Holiday pay
- Health insurance, including dental, vision, life, and disability
- Paid time off accruals
Salary for the Telecommunications positions starts at $13/hour (training wage) and top wage as $25/hour. (Wage increases are based on successful completion of training phases.)
Saginaw County will follow this evaluation method to select a qualified applicant:
- Computerized testing*
- Interactive testing*
- Oral board interview
- Must complete and pass pre-employment reference and security check
- Must complete and pass physical and drug screen
*Applicants selected to test will receive an email invitation including details and instructions.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying, you must complete a Saginaw County Central Dispatch 9-1-1 employment application. The application is available online. You may also request an application by emailing Saginaw County. Return completed applications to Saginaw County Central Dispatch by email, email@example.com.
For More Information
Please direct all questions and responses to the Saginaw County 9-1-1 Authority.Saginaw County 9-1-1 Job Posting