Marenisco Township Chief of Police Opening
Marenisco Township Police Department (MTPD) is accepting applications for the open full-time position of Chief of Police.
Located in Gogebic County on the far western end of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Marenisco Township is a rural township consisting of 330 square miles with a year-round population of approximately 1,000 residents nestled in the heart of the Ottawa National Forest. It is the second-largest township in the State of Michigan.
The MTPD works closely with the Gogebic County Sheriff’s Office and Michigan State Police for mutual aid and backup. The department is comprised of one full-time chief and several part-time officers that work primarily in the winter during snowmobile season. Additionally, the department operates a snowmobile patrol and rescue unit in the winter.
Job Details & Benefits
To be considered for this position, applicants must have or be able to:
- A current Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) certification, or eligible to be licensed, to be considered for employment
- A minimum of five years of law enforcement experience preferred although a combination of education, training, and lesser experience may be considered
- Work a minimum 40-hour week, paid holidays off, with flexible scheduled office and patrol hours
- Be available to respond to calls after hours with a take-home patrol vehicle available
- Starting salary is $48,000 ($21 – $25 per hour range) based upon experience with a full benefits package including paid sick leave, vacation, and pension available
- Residency within the township preferred but at minimum must be within 20 miles of the township boundary
How To Apply
Interested parties should submit the following by Friday, May 14, 2021, either in person, email, or regular mail to Supervisor – Police, P.O. Box 198 Marenisco, MI 49947:
- A cover letter
- A resume with at least three personal and three professional references along with their last three jobs worked
- A copy of their MCOLES certification
For More Information
Any questions may be directed to Township Supervisor Bruce Mahler by phone at (906) 787-2463 during regular business hours or by email to email@example.com. Current Interim Chief Brandon Tauer can be reached at (906) 787-2300.
Marenisco Township is an Equal Opportunity provider and employer.