The Wayne County Airport Authority is seeking to hire a Communications Specialist to join their department. The salary is $23.08 hourly, $49,440 yearly, paid bi-weekly on an hourly basis (increases at 4, 6, 9, 12, and 24 months). After two years, the salary increases to $58,301. See the complete listing for additional details and how to apply.
Communications Specialist Position Summary
Under the general direction of the Airport Response Center (ARC) Manager, and the direct supervision of the Airport Response Center Supervisor, the Communications Specialist receives and dispatches emergency and routine calls for the Airport Authority Police, Fire, Security, Airfield Operations and Maintenance Departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors, answers and initiates a response to telephones, radios, and alarms located in the ARC
- Answers incoming calls, determines the nature of the call; gathers critical information from the caller, and dispatches the proper resources
- Monitors security access control system, building maintenance alarm system, silent alarm systems, remote CCTV, and other systems used to detect unauthorized entry and maintain safety and security of the Airport
- Enters information into computer-aided dispatch, alarm logging, airfield, and environmental activities, and maintenance logging systems
- Provides pre-arrival instructions to a caller awaiting an emergency response. Provides preliminary first aid instructions before emergency medical resources arrive
- Tests communications, alarm equipment, and backup systems to ensure serviceability
- Enters and retrieves information from government databases such as CLEMIS, LEIN, and NCIC
- Initiates the start-up operation for the Airport’s Emergency Command Center and Mobile Command Center upon direction from the ARC Manager
Education, Experience, Certificates, and Licenses
The requirements of this position include having a High School or General Education Diploma and one of the following options:
- Have a minimum of six months experience working in a public safety dispatch environment and answering emergency and non-emergency calls from citizens, prioritizing calls, dispatching public safety first responders, and responding to the needs of those responders
- Minimum of six months experience working at a Category X airport in a position responsible for maintaining security as part of job duties
- Minimum of six months experience in alarm response at a high-security facility
- Completed a Dispatch Specialist program from an accredited college or technical school
- Completed the WCAA ARC Co-op Program
- Minimum of six months of related experience
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit, the Police Officers Association of Michigan.
How To Apply
A person with disabilities, who needs an accommodation regarding a job application, must notify the Human Resources Department by phone at (734) 942-3775.
Wayne County Airport Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer