Wayne County Airport Authority Police Officer Position Opening
The Wayne County Airport Authority is seeking a qualified candidate for their Police Officer opening. Under the direct supervision of an Airport Police Sergeant, the selected candidate will perform Peace Officer-related duties that include enforcement of State and Local laws, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) mandated Airport Security Plan, and Airport Authority Ordinances.
The Police Department is a twenty-four-hour, seven-day operation. Work is generally performed during an eight-hour shift. An employee may find themselves located in a specific job assignment or on patrol in an Airport vehicle for the duration of the shift. Interaction with the general public, as well as Airport personnel can be expected on a regular basis. This position is part of a 24/7/365 day operation which will include: weekends, holidays, and overtime. The salary is $50,272 per year, plus paid vacation, tuition reimbursement, paid health care, defined contribution retirement plan, and performance bonus.
What You Will Do
- Patrols Airport property in vehicles and on foot in order to ensure its general safety and prevent criminal activity
- Responds to calls for assistance, such as passenger screening checkpoint alarms, burglary alarms, assaults, vehicle accidents, and criminal activity
- Responds to emergency calls occurring on Airport Property such as airplane crashes, serious medical conditions i.e. heart attacks, bomb threats, potential hijacking, etc. Secures the scene of an emergency or crime; renders first aid and Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and assists medical personnel as necessary
- Conducts field interrogations and interviews witnesses; apprehends and/or arrests persons who violate State and Local laws and regulations; preserves the scene of the crime and evidence; transports and books offenders into a detention facility; participates in investigations; appears in Court to give testimony in arrest or other cases
- Manages traffic and enforces traffic laws including issuance of Notices to Appear, accident and hit-and-run investigations and impaired driving arrests; directs traffic
- Provides law enforcement support for pre-flight screening activities in Airport terminals per Airport Ordinances and TSA regulations in order to prevent unauthorized entry of persons or materials into terminal sterile areas, boarding ramps, aircraft or the airfield
- Performs tasks assigned to specialized units which may include Canine, Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD), Special Response Unit (SRU), Bicycle, ID Technician, ASIU Investigation, to ensure effective performance of duty
- Other duties as assigned
Applicants must meet all qualifications to be considered for this position:
- Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field, AND must have completed all requirements of MCOLES to become a sworn Michigan Law Enforcement Officer including successful completion of a police academy; Or
- High School Diploma or Certificate of High School Equivalency AND must be a sworn or certifiable Michigan Law Enforcement Officer and meet all employment standards as defined by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES)
- MCOLES Police Certification
- ST of MI Driver License and a safe, acceptable driving record.
- Have no felony convictions. Other convictions, arrests, and admissions will be reviewed.
- Must qualify for an Airport Security Badge.
- Must pass and maintain the qualifications of the Airfield Competency Test. (within probationary period)
- Please submit proof of MCOLES eligibility/certification, academy completion at the time of application.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit any instructor certifications at the time of application.
Selection Process for the Wayne County Airport Authority Police Officer Position
Applicants are required to submit an online application. Qualified applicants may be subject to the following pre-employment screening steps: oral interview, background check, MCOLES physical, psychological fitness, and drug screening.
The deadline to apply for the position is Thursday, September 30, 2021.
Applicants should expect the entire process to take 3-4 months.
Applicants not qualifying/selected will be informed in writing, by HR, and may reapply after one year. Qualified applicants will be entered into the selection process as positions become available. Applicants selected for employment will be notified in writing of an employment start date.
For More Information
Please direct all questions and comments to Detroit Metro Police Department. Contact Margaret Alford by phone, (734) 942-3775, or email, email@example.com.
Wayne County Airport Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer.